HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR QUEEN






























So today was the Queen's "Official" Birthday--the Trooping of the Colours. We made our way down to Buckingham Palace again. We ended up on St. James'Park side--thinking it would be good to see her coming out of the gate and then when she came back from the "Trooping" she'd make the circle on our side (You know---I saw them going out--I'll see them coming back in). NOT THE CASE.

We waited almost 5 hours to see her come and go and get no closer than a half a football field away. But, nevertheless we felt very much a part of the pomp and ceremony of the day. Met many Americans down there--even in a store close to the parade, I was buying a hat (see picture) to cover my bald head and I began talking to an older couple. Turns out they were from San Antonio and have a daughter that graduated with Diane ("its a small world after all--verse 2).

We moved out into the plaza after QE moved out to balcony to see the fly over. Just then as she looked up and we did too--RAIN. It had been threatening on and off all day--but we just stood there and laughed.

We made our way through Green Park to pick up one of the Big Bus of London tours. This is one of those buses that you ride around all over town and can get on and off. We rode around just looking at all of the people in the area for the day. We rode the bus to St Paul's Catherdral and quickly bee lined it to a Pasta place for lunch--we were starved. Finally into St. Pauls to see the beauty---a very beautiful structure and though I don't remember much of Charles and Diana's wedding--I saw a few things that looked familiar.

We got back on and rode around again--very tired. Tried to make it to Sherlock Holmes museum--but we were within in 15 minutes of closing. Will try to get to it on Monday morning before we head to airport.

Ok--so tomorrow is a big day. I don't know whether to break it to you or not....but Mike Mc Williams may be right--I might have to have a few more pages in my passport book. That's all I'll say for now. You can probably log on late tomorrow afternoon and I'll have a few pictures up there.

Cheerio

4 comments:

Sherry said...

WHAT??? WHAT????

Jim Drake said...

Remeber the little rhyme:

King of ________, lost his pants, right in the middle of the ballroom dance.

Only clue.

HUMMMMMM

Beth Bowen said...

Too bad I didn't get to you before the KFC mistake!!!!!!! I have two lunch places I love.
Fryer's Delight 19 Theobald's Rd. Opens again Monday at noon. Best fish and chips in the world (and CHEAP!!!)
The Crypt under St. Martin in the Fields (Trafalgar Square). Good, reasonable food.
Come see me in Lubbock!
Cheers!
Beth

Jim Drake said...

Beth

Good to hear from you.... We'll definitely visit you in Lubbock--and we don't have to have a Passport! (well maybe a West Texas Passport)

Thanks for the food advice. The Crypt is closed until October...boo hoo.

I'll see about Fryer's Delight. some wrap up stuff in the morning and then on to Snyder