Creative Chaos--You've Never Seen This Before

This post is part of Creative Chaos over on Ragamuffinsoul.com. It's a place where people who are creative share creative thoughts and ideas.

Ok--this post is a little different and I'll admit I'm somewhat hesitant to post this because it's awkward. In my years of doing sets and visuals for the church I've never done anything like this (Unless you count the fire pit with faux flames and smoke when the pastor spoke about the sons of Eli and the strange offering they gave to the Lord--that afternoon a church across the street caught fire and burned down. They blamed me).

(These are my prelim sketches, inspiration photos and actual build photos)

So, in our planning session back in October for this service we knew that we would be speaking about Human government. We thought it was appropriate for the Sunday before the election and realized we couldn't have planned it better (Yea God). We would be talking about the passage in Genesis where the people disobey God and begin to rule themselves and build for themselves a tower. No--we didn't build a tower of Babel. We did construct instruments of Human Government which enforce the laws. More specifically (I know I'm hemming and hawing here) we put and electric chair and a guillotine and a table of rocks and a cross on stage to talk about the instruments of enforcement that Human government uses to rule the people. Our point being, had the people only listened to God when he said "Go forth and multiply" they wouldn't have had these situations. Silly sinners! (oops--we still do that!)

The Electric Chair came from an old table I had. I cut it midway and moved the legs in. The end of the table became the back of the chair and I found some scrap wood to be the extended part of the chair. The wiring came from a store locally and the metal head piece is... you guessed it--the collander from the kitchen. I was inspired by the picture from the web (no, we didn't do the whoopee cushion)
The Guillotine was made from simple two by fours and the metal blade is really cardboard spray painted high gloss silver.

So--does anyone need any stage pieces for Captial Punishment Sunday? Ok--I feel better now that I have that written down.

The win for the day was one of our older ladies walking up to it and looking at it and telling our pastor "You know maybe its our time to suffer some persecution--and I'm ready to lay my head down in that thing and proclaim Jesus as King". If that was the reason we did it--then it was worth it all.

My son was very intrigued with it and we had a great discussion about government and punishment. He's been very tuned into the election (5th grade year--government study is heavy).

Randy Parker... you ever built something like this?

0 comments: