Watercooler Wednesday-Special Needs Children and Music

This post is part of Watercooler Wednesday's over on Randy Elrod's blog, Ethos.

On Monday evening I accompanied the local Junior High choir for their Fall concert. Following that the High School choir came out and with it came one of their students--a special needs child in a wheel chair. She was dressed just like the other girls; in her black satin dress and pearls. She was beautiful. She was placed as close to the riser as possible and then the concert began.

I couldn't keep my eyes off her during the songs. During the fast ones, she moved her head back and forth just like the other girls. During the slower songs, she was somber and reserved just like her counterparts. During the finale when the girls began to clap and move, she broke into the biggest smile and began to clap and sing as much as she could. It was breathtaking to watch this artist release her feelings through music.

I can only tell you that it was one of the most moving experiences that I have seen in a long, long time. Thanks should go to the choir teacher and administrators for including this wonderful artist in the program. It showed me that music is a universal language that transcends many barriers--even the barriers of special needs.

Have you seen such things as this? Share them here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very touching Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Drake said...

Pete

I only wish I had captured a picture of it. I was too far back in the auditorium after the Jr. High part, and I didn't want to call attention to myself and take away the beautiful picture. It was truly moving.

Looking forward to seeing you in February. I'll be there on Sunday Feb.1 when the Titans are getting ready to play in Super Bowl?????--it's marked on my calendar.

Sherry said...

Our Delaney has always loved music and it has been a wonderful learning tool and a great way for her to feel and actually BE included at school and church.

I'm always excited to see her in a class performance at school because she has learned all the motions and sings the words LOUDLY! (Like many kids with Down Syndrome, they may not be very inteligible but you can definitely hear her!) I'm so thankful for her music teachers who have let her be a part of those musicals - and most the time she is front and center and not hidden away by any means!

Every Sunday, Delaney is anxious to get to church not only to sing worship songs, but to help LEAD worship for the kids with Mr. Matt. Matt Cross has been such a blessing for Delaney at our church. He always welcomes her participation! I love to look over during "big church" to see Delaney doing the motions to a praise song she knows!

Thanks for sharing - I'm hopeful that she will continue to be a welcome part of the musical productions as she enters Jr. High and High School.