Audience with the Pope

Today was an eventful day. When we booked this tour, they said '' Audience with the Pope'' Now in Texas if you say that you are going to ''meet''someone they mean--face to face. I had a hunch that this wouldn't be the case here.

Early on we had an indication that this would be a larger crowd. The crowds at St. Peter were very large today (maybe even more so since the Pope's comments that were controversial). We were ushered into St. Peter's square. It was huge and beautiful. I watched all of the stuff on John Paul's funeral last year, so I had an image in my mind of what it would be. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful it is. We found our way to the seats. The front section was already closed--the pilgrims must have been there already 2 hours ahead. We sat in the second section about 4 rows from the barricade. Smack dab in the middle of St. Peter's

When the Pope flew in by helicopter, we knew he would be arriving soon. About 10 minutes later he appeared in the far corner of the plaza in his car (open air which surprised me) and began to wind his way through the plaza. The spanish speaking man next to me gestured that he would come by our way. So I positioned myself to get ready. And he did--about 6 feet away from us. I took three short pictures and got him in some part of the frame. It was an exciting moment for all around.

The service was in 5 languages. It apologized over and over again for the remarks. It was amazing for me to listen in Italian and to be able to pick up bits and pieces here and there. He spoke very fluently in all of these languages, but more slowly in Italian. Maybe the longer I'm here the more I understand. Service lasted more than 2 hours. We ditched our bus and wandered back through Castel S'Angelo and across to the Piazza Novona for a lovely lunch in the square. Awesome! And the artists were out in full force today.

Back to the Pantheon for a quick glance at a structure that has been there since 27 AD and it was beautiful. Then over to Trevi Fountain again for some daytime pictures.

We were very tired this afternoon, so came back for a Siesta! I love these....I may be spoiled in the states.

Now to rest for the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums tomorrow. A little more shopping then rest for the trip home.

Thanks for reading and replying....it makes me smile

Ciao!

Paolo

0 comments: