Watercooler Wednesdays-Designers:They're Everywhere

Somewhere around 2004 or so I was getting ready to attend my first Catalyst Conference in Atlanta. I noticed that one of the things they said the conference for was for WORSHIP DESIGNERS. I thought to myself--"I wonder what one of those people look like?" I kept my eyes open during the whole conference trying to spot the elusive bird called a designer. That was really my first introduction to the term DESIGNER as it pertained to worship and the church.


You may ask- "What is a designer?". Here's the official wiki answer:
A designer is a person who designs something. Perhaps the broadest definition is that provided by Herbert Simon: ‘Everyone designs who devises courses of action aimed at changing existing situations into preferred ones.’ [1]
Examples of different types of designers include:
architect or architectural designer, automotive designer, costume designer, engineering designer, fashion designer, game designer, graphic designer, industrial designer, interaction designer, interior designer, jewelry designer, landscape designer, lighting designer, scenic designer, systems designer, web designer.
Ok, you say "What's the point?". The point is that in every industry, every trade, every organization there are designers--and legitimately called designers on staff.

For example, one funeral home in our area has stopped calling it's employees FUNERAL DIRECTORS, but now they are MEMORIAL DESIGNERS- they design memorial services. I told that to our local crew of directors and they chuckled. They said it beat undertaker!

There are FLORAL DESIGNERS, EXPERIENCE DESIGNERS, SOCIAL DESIGNERS and the list goes on and on.

So--how do you feel about being called DESIGNER? Does it change how you look at your work? Are the compelling questions that you ask different? Do you find inspiration in your work that leads you to better design? Is there a design plan for your services and ministries?

The Design Star Challenge is but one manifestation of this new division of workers in the field.

This post is part of Watercooler Wednesdays over on Randy Elrod's site, Ethos. It's where all the cool kids hang out. Come on over.

4 comments:

Jack Fussell said...

Good question. Because of the true definition of worship, I don't think WE can design worship. I think we can design worship times and settings but not worship. The title is cool but does it lead us to think that if we design the perfect set worship will be the natural result?

Jim Drake said...

Jack

Great point! I don't ever think if we get the form right that the function will follow.

I was just saying that Design has even impacted the area of worship, just as it has in other areas of life. Today we are concerned with the experience of worship--whether that is good or not, we're yet to see.

What part of N. Africa are you in? I'll be in Egypt in the fall.

Thanks fo stopping by.

Audra Krell said...

I'm all for kinder, gentler titles like designer. Sometimes it makes me feel much more professional, leading to deeper inspiration.

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

I agree with Jack too.
I find it interesting that I don't believe I every really heard about designing worship elements, except that was what God laid on my heart. But specifically that part of designing the elements so that theya re culturally relevant.