I'm Not Your Typical Dad












I attended my son's football game on Saturday.  It was the first one that I've been able to see all  year.  The first ones were while I was gone to Egypt.   They didn't win although they gave it a valiant effort.

What was even more interesting was watching the coaches and the fathers that help with the team.  It was nothing short of a "banty rooster" contest between the men to see who could yell louder and meaner at the boys ( at one point one of the sons shouted at his Dad " I'm doing the best I can--get off my case").  Wow--what an eye opening experience.

Even more interesting was hearing a father walk up and down the sideline on my son's team and say " it just feels good to hit somebody!"  Less than 5 minutes later this father was being thrown out of the game because of his mouth on the sideline.  All across the stadium you could hear him yell and scream as he was told to leave the grounds.  I felt sorry for his son who just bowed his head.  What an embarassment.

I realized then that I'm glad I'm not that way.  In fact when my wife arrived I told her about the incident and promptly told her that I'm an "atypical" father.   I don't do those things to my son and wouldn't think of doing that in public.  Maybe I'm odd, but that's just who I am.

Have you seen behavior like this?  What did you think when you saw it?

0 comments: