Watercooler Wednesday-Meeting My Blog World

One of the joys of blogging has been the connections that I have made not only across the U.S., but across the world. My sphere of influence has grown immensley since meeting these friends through the blog you are reading now:
ChrisfromCanada: Chris Vacher is from Orangeville, Ontario
SimpleChristFollower: Paul Fowler is from Nova Scotia, Canada
SuperSimbo: Ally Simpson, designer from Ireland.
Jafferblog: Mark Jaffrey is from Cairo, Egypt.

When I found out that I was going to Egypt in May, I knew that I wanted to meet Mark. It's not everyday that you happen to be in the neighborhood of Cairo and I had been following Mark since the end of CRE:ATE last year when he was landlocked in Egypt because of a church event.
Last Saturday we finally made connection in Cairo and he hosted myself and my sister for a wonderful view of life there in Egypt. He welcomed us to his beautiful home and introduced us to his wonderful family. His wife made the most delicious lemon cake and the brother fixed me up with a Coke "with ice"--refreshing.

Even more refreshing was spending those hours with him getting to know his story, his heart and his passion for Worship and the Arts. We laughed and talked about so many things.

I've had people question me about meeting these bloggers--some say it's just too crazy to meet with folks that you've only known through the blog world. I can see their point, but for me connecting and meeting people in my blog world only reinforces my desire to meet like minded people and to learn from them and share life with them, even if it is worlds and seas apart.

So tell me, do you want to meet people in your blog world? Next on my list is the infamous PETE WILSON. I'll get to do that in February when I attend CRE:ATE with Mark.

This post is part of Watercooler Wednesday over on Randy Elrod's site, Ethos.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet everyone at recreate either. It's going to be a great week.

Jim Drake said...

Alastair

Me too--I'm ready Freddy! Have you made your hotel reservations?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet Jim. We'll see you in February.

Anonymous said...

Not yet. Seen the list of recommendations that Randy put up, but haven't sorted out anything yet. Will do soon.

What time does it kick off on the 2nd Feb? Is it worthwhile arriving the night before or not?

Jim Drake said...

I'm still looking for my room too. It starts @ 1PM on Monday--I'm coming in early to visit Pete Wilson's church...

Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, nice one. Good idea.

Anonymous said...

re:create has really been the catalyst for a global (literally) community of bloggers to connect, share ideas, develop relationships. I am so thankful to God for Randy and what he is doing.

Jim - Can't wait till February! And anytime you're in Canada you're more than welcome to come by for some lemon cake!!

Randy said...

Wow! Awesome. This warms my heart so! Mark and his family are beautiful.

Jim, I must confess I'm a little jealous that you were able to get to Egypt before me. Mark is truly one of our world's most special people.

Randy

Jim Drake said...

Randy--I'm bringing my pictures to Nashville and Mark can narrate it in his wonderful accent.

Really--it's great to meet souls that you feel like you've known for years. You help foster that because that's how we feel with you.

Blessings

Jim Drake said...

Pete

Can't wait to meet you too. Loved the picture with Al Shaprton--how did you score that?

Beth said...

Jim - great story! I've met three folks in real life via blogging and each meeting has been memorable. They've all been stateside, tho!

I'm going to check out this conference you're talking about...it's new to me...

Jim Drake said...

Beth

You'd love CRE:ATE. Go to http://seekersolutions.typepade/recreateconference.

It's the best gathering of Creatives from all over the world. Relaxed and informal--you'll make some key connections.

supersimbo said...

thanks for the shout man, you rock

Jim Drake said...

Ally

Ireland is on my list--someday I'll meet ya there.

Jim