Watercooler Wednesday-Practicing Your Craft



I was part of the local theatre production of HANK THE COWDOG this past weekend. We did three performances this weekend and will do another three the next.

What I love about being involved with the local theatre company is this:
1) I meet artists that I otherwise wouldn't meet in a normal work week. This production included 5-6 people who had never been involved with the theatre or had been away from the scene for a long time. One of the actors surprised us with his backgroud--he had quite an extensive resume with experience in TV, Film and videos in Hollywood. Wow! I told him he was holiding out on us.
2) It gives me a chance to practice my craft. I'm not an actor by trade, but creativity comes in practicing your craft in many shapes and forms. Creating a character on stage helps in unleashing other creative parts in my life.
3) It gives me a chance to add to the art and culture of my community. Meeting the people who have seen the production I feel a sense that I have added to their understanding of art and culture. Most importantly are the kids who come through the line and express their appreciation. I believe we are building the next generation of artists who will take our place one day.

I've been asked to direct a production at the Ritz in the coming year. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to lead a group of artists as we put together a production that changes our culture.

This post is part of Watercooler Wednesday over on Randy Elrod's site, Ethos.

0 comments: