SANTA LAND--Memories from my past



We visited Santa Land in Lubbock on Saturday night after we ended our busy day of shopping. Santa Land was one of those special things that I remember about my childhood. We would bundle up the whole family and head to the park there on Ave. Q in Lubbock. It was a wide open space with a large Christmas tree (real--made out of cut limbs from cedar trees) and the biggest bonfire ever! We made our way to see Mr. and Mrs. Claus (who just happened to know Mom and Dad. Mom would alert him that the Drake boys were coming and we were so surprised that he knew us by name).

So-I wanted my kids to experience the same thing. I can't tell you the memories that flooded back as we headed into the park. Although it's been moved to Mackenzie State Park there in Lubbock, some of the stuff is the same stuff I saw. The old church, Rudolph on the rooftop, the carolers and more. I don't think we had Dora the Explorer then ( I thought that needed to go). We peeked in on Mr. and Mrs. Claus (but they weren't the same ones I knew).

All in all it was a magical stop and a memory for my kids.

What Christmas memories do you have as a child? Can you share them with your kids (the same places and events?)

1 comments:

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

Wow, what nice memories. And how wonderful to be able to share them with your children.
Mine are too far away to share with my grandchildren.
Most of my life as a child I lived in New Mexico.
What I vividly remember is so many streets whose houses were lined with lumenarias.
That's for sharing...