"To Bring Freedom To The Captives"

Last Saturday I attended the annual Prison Christmas service that our Prison Ministry sponsors at the local maximum security prison.  It wasn't my first time out there--I've been twice before and one of them was at Christmas.  We've taken our choir out there before and they really enjoy them coming to sing to them.

I went later in the day than most of the staff (they were on the early end of preparations) and I arrived in time for worship services.  Can I just tell you that these services inside the prison are the most "free" type of service that I've been apart of.   It seems to me sometimes that the ones held captive by the "law" are more free than those of us on the outside with "grace."  Certainly Saturday was no exception.

We  moved to the chapel area to get ready to hand out fruit, soap, cards, cookies and other goodies donated for the moment.  I met briefly with two prisoners and it turns out that both of them were brothers.   We had a great conversation about how the Lord has turned their worlds around and one of the brothers will be released in early 2009 and is hoping to return home and get settled before his brother gets out.

We stood in the courtyard for hours to hand out the goodies as the prisoners came by after dinner with their sacks.  Some of them were unmoved by the gestures but some of them were overcome with emotion at the outpouring of love.  I tried my best to make eye contact with each person and tell them something.  I would intentionally hold my item (oranges) a little longer above their bag until they looked me in the eye.  It was an emotional day.  

So many in prison--so many needlessly their because they have no hope.  I'm praying that this season the true light of Christ will liberate these souls as the promised one has come to bring freedom to the captives.  I couldn't help but think of these guys on Sunday as we sang "PREPARE THE WAY" by Darrell Evans

"He has come to bring light into the darkness
He has come to bring freedom to the captives
He has come to restore the broken hearted
It's time to proclaim the year of the Lord"

Have you ever been to prison for ministry?

5 comments:

Sherry said...

I haven't participated in the prison ministry but I am praying that God will use Kairos to reach my 18 year old nephew who has been in and out of jail for the past 3 years. He has now been in a larger prison here in Texas for the past few months and is scheduled to be released next week. As soon as I found out where he was I looked to see if there was an active Kairos ministry there - and there is! My prayer is that God will use those people to reach Michael as we have been unable to. His mother and my brother, non believers, were hoping he could get out early - but my prayer is that he stays and participates in the Kairos Christmas events.

Jim Drake said...

Sherry

So many young ones in there...it is sad.

We'll pray that Michael is touched this Christmas with the freedom only Christ can give!

Darla said...

our praise team did music ministry there several years ago, i was suprised that alot of these guys look like the guys we see everyday,somebodys brother, son, nephew, or the guy next door. made me think more about how we do need to reach out to them, what if they were our brothers and neighbors? i guess they truly are. it was a great experience for me, but mostly for my husband. some of the hispanic men were drawn to him and loved hearing him play guitar. my dad does Kairos and has for years, it's where he has found his place to minister. makes me smile to see dad participating and making a difference at his age.

Jim Drake said...

Darla

Kairos is wonderful--they are "recruiting" me heavily for the next one in April.

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

Several years ago, I did weekly visitations and Bible study with a young women.
We were together for about 6 months and I even helped her get settled in after her release.
It was a wonderful time.
Since then, I have visited a few people in jail. Mostly children or siblings of people I knew and co-workers. It's so important to simply reach out and love someone where they are at.
I was even blessed several to visit someone who had been committed to a mental institution.
For some reason (it's a God thing), people feel comfortable reaching out to me in times of trouble and I will always stand besides them.
I love how God uses my backgroud as a military police officer to impact people lives.
So cool.