Worship Post-Fessional, Dec. 7, 2008

This post is part of Sunday Set Lists over on Fred McKinnon's blog.

Today was an interesting day. We're nearing the end of our series "The Big Picture".   We finished up The Age of Grace today and talked about how we still live under legalism in some form or fashion and that we don't really fully embrace the Grace life.   I wore a coat and tie today to lead worship--believe me--it was constraining and binding on me.  I could feel it.  But, I got the round of compliments and oohs and ahs over me dressing up.  I even heard one person sigh as I went by and they said  " I miss the days of dressing up for church".   As soon as our pastor talked about the things that still bind us--I felt the freedom to reach up and take that tie off.  I led the last song without coat and tie.  Whew!..what a relief.

Here's the set list for today:

Fields of Grace (Darrell Evans)--thought of this one as we finish up this series and today's topic is Grace.  It was new and I'll have to think about bringing this one back so as not to waste the moment.
Prepare The Way (Darrell Evans)-no, it wasn't a Darrell Evans day but this one tied into the scripture reading for Advent.   We'll keep singing this through the Advent season

Welcome

Prayer

Come Thou Long Expected (Praise Carols)  Hard arr.--too many minor chords.  don't do this one again.

Advent Reading--Mark 1:1-8 (Responsive--Men, Ladies, All, etc)

Everything Glorious (Moffitt/Smith)--from EVERYTHING GLORIOUS musical two years ago--it's a great song.  I loved this song two years ago in the musical.   It was ok today--maybe we should have just featured this song instead of having people join in.  That's been too long to bring back for the congregations.  My bad!

Glorious Day (Bleeker)--second week for this one, a remix of an old hymn.  Good.  I heard more people singing along today on this one.

Message

Grace Flows Down (Tomlin)

Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)-(Tomlin)

How was your Sunday?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome setlist! How did "Amazing Grace" go for you guys? How did the congregation respond to it?

Jim Drake said...

Johnny--

AMAZING GRACE (MY CHAINS ARE GONE) has become one of our church's favorites. I can't believe that it has become so popular (we introduced about a year ago).

It was even more powerful after a sermon on grace and I could shed my chains (my necktie) to lead the last set.

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

Wonderful set list...
Don't give up on "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus".
I wish I could convince our worship leader to blog. We have actually done "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" and it worked well.
I'm not sure what version she used.

Steff said...

I absolutely love "Grace flows down" great song.

Louise Knight said...

Will be checking out some of these songs that don't seem familiar.

Love Amazing Grace and our congregation get right into it.

Jim Drake said...

LK

Thanks for stopping by from South Africa! What songs are unfamiliar to you? Everything Glorious? (from Travis Cottrell's Christmas collection of the same name (2005-06) and also available on Great WorshipSongs.com.

Glorious Day is a remix of an old Gospel him (ONE DAY) but put to a new tune by Michael Bleeker, a worship leader in Dallas. You can iTune it by looking for GLORIOUS DAY-Jeff Johnson.

Hope this helps! Enjoyed reading your blog.