A Day In The City

So, today was Prayer and Planning day. Our church has given us 5 designated days to get away, pray, read scripture and plan. I chose today to get away because EASTER is coming and I'm way behind. We have a good idea of what we're doing--just none of it was in concrete. I left early this morning (missed the excitement around here--READ the previous post). I spent the morning at Daybreak Coffee. It was busy, crazy in there with all of the men sitting around talking politics and stuff. Somehow I was able to zone out and read the scriptures and get a sense of God's presence with me. After some time I dove into planning for Easter. We're centering around the Miracles of the Crucifixion (THE NINTH HOUR) for the weeks preceeding Easter. This will also tie into our Maundy Thursday prayer experience where each station will deal with the miracles. It all began to flow together as I focused on each of them individually and then began to sketch and draw what each station would look like. By noon--I was brain fried--but hungry for PEI WEI next door. Now, if you haven't had PEI WEI, you haven't lived. It is the most awesome Chinese food (always get the Kung Pao Chicken). After reading the fortune cookies (says something good is coming in the mail--my tax rebate check?), I went walking around the City of Lubbock's Veteran's Memorial. My dad has a brick here in his honor and I had never walked around the memorial. Very moving--seeing names of some of the older men that I knew when I was growing up. I never found my dad's brick--though now looking online and seeing where it is, I was close and felt that I was--just didn't take the time to scan every brick.

Then it was off to one of my favorite creative places...Lowe's. Anyone else with me? I always enjoy going to Lowe's (1. because we don't have one in town, 2. there's so much that you can stand there and imagine "what can I do with this" My wife used to hate me going to Lowes. I'd come home with all kinds of "oops" paint and big ideas for the house. It was thrilling today to walk down the isles and try to figure out how I could use common building products for sets and worship design. I tried to grab 1 paint chip sample from each bin-like JVO's display @ Recreate...but was too scared to take'm all. So I have a few to play with and see what we can do.

Then off to Sugar Brown's (another coffee shop--ok,ok--it was a little chilly to sit at the park today and finish my planning. Besides they have free wifi there). I spent the rest of the afternoon working on the worship segements for Easter. I surfed and found resources that fit into the themes for the week. Sugar Brown's is an old 7-11 that has been turned into a neat coffee house. It has a great feel and I see so many Christ followers there doing their devos and reading scripture. I felt right at home.

Finally one last stop--to HOBBY LOBBY. Sorry, another creative hangout--where I picked up foamcore board that I couldn't find here in our town. (and for $5.99). On to Mardel's where I was looking for a book I found today on the net about the Miracles of the Crucifixion. Nope--they didn't have it, and the boy told me "We haven't put out our Easter stuff yet!" What? I thought I was behind.

That was my day--how was yours?

0 comments: