Water Cooler Wednesday--Mine Would Be Pink!

This post was inspired by the news I received the other day that a friend from Seminary days had finally completed his Doctoral degree at the The Institute for Worship Studies.  I applaud him for his tenacity in keeping on even after seminary.  We've been out of seminary almost 17 years-so he's kept this as a burning passion since then.

I used to tell my wife I was going for my doctorate.  She told me "You can do that with your next wife!"  It's almost like giving birth (go easy on me ladies--I said almost). Once you forget the pain of the Master's--the next level is the Doctorate.  I thought about it for about 3 minutes.   There'll never be a Dr. Jim Drake (only if I buy one of those cheap ones in the back of a magazing--say the University of Interscholastic Paper Design or something like that.)

I guess I was fascinated with the regalia that the Doctors wear.  I earned my Master's stole at Southwestern, but it paled in comparison to the Doctors vestments.  Those bars and chevrons across the deep black gowns and that ever adorable tam were very enticing.

It seems that these vestments were once worn everyday in academic settings.  Can you imagine wearing a robe and stole to class everyday.  It was the academic gown which gave birth to the modern day choir robe---get the connection?   

So--to the title of my post.  Music in the Academic world is represented by the color... PINK.  Yes, can you get a more stereotypical color for musicians?   Why Pink?  Why not a majestic blue or green?  I get snickers and laughs every graduation season when this topic emerges. Ok--let's just state it--MUSIC is PINK.

You can check out all of the history and rules of using these garments on this site.  Also look at the color chart and comment back here what your color would be if you were a Dr. of something?  Go ahead, dream--what would it be?

This post is part of Water Cooler Wednesday over on Randy Elrod's site, Ethos.

4 comments:

Paul Fowler said...

I really like the Dark Blue of Social ethics. If I was ever able to reach the "Dr" level I would like to be robed in that color while receiving my "Dr of shedding guitar" while also wearing a pair of shorts!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your friend on graduating!

Paul Fowler said...

Make that "Shredding guitar". Typing is not one of my strong suits!

Audra Krell said...

Ok this was hilarious and fun! I would be white, if I were Dr. of English. Since black and white are my very favorite colors to wear, maybe I should consider it!