Watercooler Wednesday: Mac Vs. Pc



Today is Watercooler Wednesday over on Randy Elrod's blog, Ethos.  Today's topic is MAC VS. PC.

I owned my first Mac about 18 years ago when I inherited a Mac from my father-in-law after his passing.  It was the very first computer I ever owned and it worked great for me.  The only draw back was it's limited internal storage capacity so my desk was always littered with those floppy disks. But, such was the nature of early computers---storage was limited. 

After that I migrated to PC since the work environment I was in (at that time my churches didn't own PC's--we still used Typewriters!   I know--that was cave days).  So, I became very familiar with PC words and usage.

Finally about 4 years ago, it became time to invest in a new laptop, and this time I went back to MAC, and to be honest I wondered if MAC was so beyond me that I wouldn't be able to learn it.  I was still going to have to be PC at work.   I found that the MAC had become so user friendly that I was able to keep my PC environment at work and use my MAC at the same time.  If you were to see my desk at work, you'd see my PC monitor and then my MAC laptop there on my desk connected to my network and adding content and sharing content across the platforms.

Our work environment is considering going to all MAC--which is ambitious, but I think will be somewhat cost prohibitive since all of our software is PC based and not all of them support MAC versions.

I love my MAC and will probably be a MAC user the rest of my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely have to agree. I also do the PC at work, mac at home, and am on my 3rd mac. In the 80's I had mac's at work as well, which is where I got hooked.

I do stuff at the nitty-gritty developer on the edge level and am impressed with how widely MacOS X is integrated into developer's thinking now. Given my 'druthers' I'd drop the PC at work, and go mac there again too.

-Crusty
http://eachmorning.blogspot.com

Audra Krell said...

I have been so afraid of mac, remembering it as really hard to use. I hear it has gotten easier and that is good since I eventually want to switch to a mac. Got to sell a few articles first!

Anonymous said...

I heart Mac.
Very, very, very, very, very much (one 'very' for every Mac I own).