Watercooler Wednesday--Art and Faith

Just over a year ago, I was convicted that if I was to make a difference in the place where I live, I must engage with the artistic community around me.  I'm an artist--and I'm called to impact my world with the good news of Christ and for me, using the gifts and talents that God gave me seemed the best way to do that.  

I auditioned for a production at our local theater last fall and enjoyed my re-entry back to the theater after 25 years.  Just being back on stage somehow re-awakened my love for theater and the community that is created among the cast and crew during the pre-production and production phases.  Most of that time was just spent getting lines down and remembering stage principles and practices.

Now I am in a production that will go up in 2 weeks.  It's been a fast a furious pace getting lines and blocking down.  However, this one has been different.  I didn't know most of the cast before this production and that has caused me to consider that perhaps I'm here for another reason.

I couldn't have been more surprised the other night during one of the scenes (we were off-stage) when I encountered a spiritual conversation with another cast member.  To be honest, I wasn't quiet ready for it ( I should be--I should always be ready to give a reason for the hope I have in Christ).  It was a realization from a year ago--that I'm doing what I'm doing not only to express the gifts and talents that God has given me, but also to impact my world of art with faith.  It has renewed my thought that everytime I express this gift and create community around me, there will be opportunity (Holy spirit orchestrated) for me to give witness to this hope that I have.   I just have to be available and ready for the opportunity arises.  

Most people would say that the artist community is a hard one to express personal faith.   I might agree, but I think that this argument is an excuse not to engage artists because artist tend to be most difficult to pen down about "faith".   If the article in the New York Time last week is correct, we already have enough artists out there that can impact their world ( and I'd be surprised if there weren't more artistic missionaries out there) and who are ready to see God move and answer the questions of their artistic soul.

This post is part of Water Cooler Wednesday's over on Randy Elrod's blog, Ethos.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of struggling with this right now. I minister to more people through my business and the people I meet than through my pastoral role at church.

Am I the only one like that? Granted I don't work full time at church, but still.