In the Land of the Pharoahs













Today was our first full day in Egypt.  We arrived here on Wednesday morning (10:15 Egypt time/ 3:15 AM Texas Time).   Yesterday (Wed) was spent mostly settling into the hotel for 2 nights and getting to meet the other members of the tour.  They are from all over the US.

We awoke at 6:30 this morning (11:30 Texas time) to head to breakfast.  Breakfast in foreign countries can mean many things.  In Rome it was cold meats and cheeses; in England it's Baked beans and blood sausage.  In Egypt it was a mix of Cereals, breads, Fruits (fresh dates-never had one-and don't even make a joke about it; a pretty good little meal.

Our only stop today was the Great Pyramids which I can see from my hotel window.  They are an amazing site to see up close.  I never really understood the pyramids until today and their significance in the history of the Kings (Pharoahs) that ruled this land.   There are 9 of the 10 pyramids still standing, but the ravages of time and erosion are quickly making them a pile of sand.  I'm glad that I got to see them while they are still here.
Other than being hounded by souvenier hawkers it was a pleasant morning until mid-day when the heat came in like a puff of hot air.  All of a sudden it felt like a furnace out near the Sphinx and all we could think of was getting back to the hotel.

This afternoon has been spent trying to get internet up and running.  We had no connection in the hotel at all yesterday, thus the late entry today, and then we attended a lecture by our Study guide, Dr. Wahlid.  A very informative talk on Islam and Egypt.  I understand more now about the difference in Sunni and Shiite Muslims and the history of Egypt.  However, I might suggest a better time than 3:00 PM--because my eyes were heavy.   

About 4:30 I took a dip into the most amazing pool that I've ever seen.  If you've been to Wet'N Wild you know about the Lazy River--this pool has a lazy river around it and a food bar in the middle of the pool.  I didn't eat, but swam sufficiently to tire for a bit.

Tonight we meet again @ 8:30 PM  to hear a talk by the leading Archeologist in Egypt.  He was featured in the Discovery Channel series this summer.  Should be interesting. 

Tomorrow-the Egyptian museum where they have the Rosetta Stone then a flight to Luxor for sight seeing there on Saturday.  

Again, I'll try to post when I can.  If you comment, leave your name.  I've had a bunch of Anonymous people lately and I can't figure out who you are.


3 comments:

Sherry said...

Incredible I am sure! Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it was going. Your wife says she misses you every time I talk to her and we both agreed you better be having an AWESOME time! Love ya - be safe!

Darla said...

stop rubbing it in already! lol! hope your having a great time, sounds like it.

Diane said...

rI do miss you. Sherry had it right. Sherry and I are going on a big trip when you get back. lol
Love,
your loving wife