Pete Wilson-Your Day Is Coming

Dear Pete:

This is a letter to warn you what's coming.  In 4 years you will have to endure what I endured Friday night and Saturday morning.  As your friend I hope that this fair warning will give you time to prepare for the torture that will accompany this event.  Start now to get lots of sleep--you're going to need it.

You see, in 4 or so years, Pete's boy, Jett will be 10-11, like my son Daniel.  Daniel came to us with the idea of a sleep over for, oh say, 9-10 of his 11 year old friends.  The place: our church's Family Life Center, where they could play endless rounds of War Ball, Softball, Murder and other games.

The night was to be a full scale FRIENDS of Daniel-complete with a Shirts/skins football games, Rip Sticks and all the Root Beer that you could drink.  You can see where I'm going with this.

And I was the lucky one to stay overnight with this angelic tribe.  They really were pretty good--no major fights and they went down pretty fast with OVER THE HEDGE on the large screen projector.  Pretty cool.

Somewhere around 3:45 AM my dear friend, Pete, this old body had enough of the silliness and put them all down to sleep.  You see, when they get still they go to sleep really fast.

Pete, I feel for you. You have three boys--I only have one.  One is enough at 11.   I only hope that when they reach this mark, you'll look back at this information and see that Jim said "I'm warning you!"   It's coming.

Your Friend, 
Jim

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to post things like this? Colton is 8 and his two brother are following quickly behind.

I don't need the stress of worrying about it before it gets here.

Jim Drake said...

I should have addressed it to you too...

Yes my friend--3 times you'll hit the 11 year old season. They get to be young men--but there's still a little boy inside.

Enjoy--don't anticipate

Jim Drake said...

dorothy--
I lost your comment somewhere. I saw it, but Blogger ate it!

Beth said...

Girls stay up all night and scream and giggle...boys are just amazingly loud and intense and scary.

But when they crash, they crash hard. And that's good.

By the way , TTU class of 85 - music major. We must have just missed each other!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jim. This is painful. I can't imagine. My 7, 4 and 2 year olds just dropped by to see me for like 5 minutes in my office.

I think they broke several things in their brief visit.

Atleast, I know I can depend on you and your experiences to guide me through that time!! :)

Anonymous said...

that sounds like one of those events that dad handles alone while mom stays at home in the quiet, peaceful house! :)

Unknown said...

brandy, i was thinking that too. your reprieve sounds like its coming soon! ahhh...

sorry Pete!

Anonymous said...

@ brandiandboys, I don't think you're going to get off that easy.

Diane said...

jim got to stay at the sleepover while his wife (me) got to be home with the girls. I alredy did this with the girls. It was his turn. And yes, girls go are giggly, not as scary for sure!!!