Looking Back, Looking Forward-Ministry for 21 years

On September 20, I will celebrate my 21st year in ministry.

It was on that day that I publicly made my decision to follow Christ's call into full-time ministry. I had made the decision on Sunday, Sept. 6th while on a Singles Retreat at Inn of the Hills in Kerrville.

That's where these pictures are from. I have a picture that I snapped that night by the river; at the spot where I felt the Lord spoke to me. That picture hangs high in my office and on those days when I am ready to walk away from ministry, I think about that moment.

Just recently I was challenged to think back to that moment when I felt the Lord speak. It wasn't a specific call to Music Ministry, although that is what I have been doing for these 21 years. It was a call to be obedient. All I can really remember at that moment was hearing in my spirit " I will provide". So many times I have had to lean upon those three little words when I didn't know what was coming next in ministry. The Lord has provided--marvelously and wonderfully for 21 years. What will the next 21 hold?


Ministry for me has certainly changed in the last 21 years. I hope that the Lord is preparing in me a vision and passion for ministry for the next 21.


Where and when were you called into ministry ?


This post is part Randy Elrod's Blog Carnival, Watercooler Wednesdays.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was called about 16 months ago...so 21 is pretty amazing to me. My dad is going on 24, which amazes me as well.

danp said...

Jim, I can recall the moment and place. sitting on the back row of a church after arriving late and staring at the ceiling completely disinterested in what the pastor was saying I hear, "Dan, I want you to love my people." It was as if a voice spoke from behind me but I was up against a wall. Confused I asked my pastor later what that meant and his response... God's calling you to ministry because that's what we do. We love God's people. Many years later at a Purpose Driven Conference at Saddleback I was discouraged and ready to give up on ministry when again, arriving to a session late and plopping down on the back row, I heard that voice again saying, "I'm going to reaffirm your call." Several times this happened where I was a bit annoyed about it when Rick Warren said, "Guys, listen; none of this matters (that voice... here it comes!) none of this matters unless you are a lover of God's people. Wow! it was an arrow a dart to my heart. How would he know to use those words exactly and how would I know he would use them? I was so moved by this I had to go pray, confess and take action. I look back at that moment as a turning point in ministry that sustains me even today during the difficult moments!

Jim Drake said...

dan

good to hear from you...

isn't it amazing that he doesn't speak in long orations that we can't remember. He speaks in small voices and short words. Amazing...I probably miss most of those short phrases looking for the big ones. Thanks for the reminder.

Jim Drake said...

Tyler

How awesome--16months. I was reading your blog about your dad recently. You have quite a legacy.

"If I was starting over in ministry today"...well, those are just words of an old minister.

If I can ever be of service to you--I would count it a great privilege.

Just read Dan P's post. LOVE GOD- LOVE THE PEOPLE and the rest is just filler.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Congratulations on 21 Years that is no small faith journey that you have been on! Blessings on the next 21 -- maybe it be even more fruitful!

Rod