Creativity--Child's Play

Have you ever seen anything like this?  Of course you have.  Most of our children (and remember, even us) made something very creative out of something very common at one time or another.  Most creative stuff comes out of a sense of play and we must admit that as we become older we lose that sense of play (because it's childish!)
Creativity comes  when the boundaries of time, space, resources, limits and restraints are thrown off and the impossible becomes possible.  
There are times in my day when my desk is too limiting, the paper work and chores too daunting and the tasks ahead of me too constricting to feel creative.   It is in those times that I must escape and do something creative--write, draw, build, photograph, read, paint-until those creative juices are flowing again.   I wish it were that I could operate in that all of the time.  
Companies like Google have found that creating a "child like" environment stimulates the creativity in their work place.  I've posted about that here.

Why is it that the world finds that we "must" grow up and lose that child-like creativity?  Why does the world so value "factual" over the "fun"?   Is it because we think serious is more important than exploration?   Or is it because limiting creativity means that we can control the outcome?

Just some thoughts.  What say you?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Just yesterday, I had to abandon my office for the sunshine, green grass, and lakefront out in front of our building. I'm trying to write a creative reading for the conclusion of our service this week, and I retreated there w/ nothing more than my clipboard. Left the laptop and cell phone upstairs in the building on purpose.

As we get older, more responsibility burdens us, which can really kill those creative juices. We have to be diligent to walk away from that stuff to let creativity run freely.