I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet

An interesting thing happened last night and I wasn't quite sure what it was until I got home.

I was at the church getting things ready for today (I've been away this week) when all of a sudden it sounded like someone had hit the back of the church building with a car or bus.  It shook the roof of the Worship Center and rattled for at least 30 seconds afterwards.

I thought something in the air conditioning system could have kicked in and then I returned to my work.

When I got home my family was all abuzz about the 3.4 Earthquake that hit Snyder.

From my research of the area, I immediately thought of the geographic area where the quake was centered. This is a huge oil field area for a local Oil producer and I know that they use "salt" and other materials that are pumped into these wells to extract more oil.  I thought this might be the case and this morning found this book that says that most earthquakes in this area since 1974 have been caused by such practices.

Still, it was quite exciting around here last night.  I didn't really feel the earth move under my feet--but the sky was tumbling down!

0 comments: